Enhance®Fitness is a community-based senior fitness and arthritis management class. The 16-week program meets three times a week for a one-hour class. Each class is taught by a certified instructor and focuses on cardiovascular endurance, strength, flexibility, and balance.
How It Works
Participants move at their most comfortable pace and are never pushed to do more than they can handle. Exercising with other people in a relaxed atmosphere adds a fun, social element and keeps motivation high.
EnhanceFitness meets the physical activity recommendations for older adults set forth by the U.S. Surgeon General recommendations in the following way:
- An EnhanceFitness class meets three times per week, one hour per session, and the instructor leads the group in 30 minutes of an endurance-type physical activity of at least moderate intensity.
- Each EnhanceFitness class includes specific strengthening exercises for the major muscle groups of the legs, arms, and shoulders, and incorporates exercises that improve balance and lower falls risk.
EnhanceFitness has been recognized by the CDC, the U.S. Department on Aging, and the National Council on Aging as effective in helping older adults improve or maintain their physical functioning. Program participants have reported increased flexibility, energy levels, and strength; better sleep; and an increased sense of independence. Additionally, the program has resulted in fewer hospitalizations and reduced healthcare costs.
Benefits of participating in EnhanceFitness:
- Participants maintain or improve cardiorespiratory fitness, muscle strength, balance, and flexibility.
- Reduces the risk of falls through strength training and dynamic and static balance exercises. Import factors in preventing falls.
- Maintains or improves physical functioning, particularly among older adults who have functional impairments.
Sign up online or stop by the membership desk of your local Y.
Older adults at all fitness levels are welcome, from frail to fit.
For more information, please email us.