Build confidence and peace of mind.
Teaching children how to be safe around water is not a luxury. It's a necessity.
Drowning can happen nearly anywhere with standing water. But parents and caregivers can't keep their children sidelined.
The YMCA’s Safety Around Water program equips children with the tools they need to be confident in and around water. After taking this free course, they can use the water to:
- Receive the health benefits of water exercise
- Enjoy the opportunities to bond with family and friends by the water, and
- Enjoy a sense of accomplishment when they learn a new skill
Essential water safety skills can open up a world of possibilities for children to satisfy their curiosity safely.
What is the Safety Around Water program?
Safety Around Water is not a traditional swim lesson. In this four-hour course, held over multiple days, a certified instructor teaches children how to reduce the risk of drowning and gives them confidence in and around water.
A typical session includes:
- Exercises to help children adjust to being in water
- Instruction in “Jump, Push, Turn, Grab” and “Swim, Float, Swim,” two skill sets children can use if they unexpectedly find themselves in the water
- An activity that teaches children about specific safety topics such as pool rules and boating safety
- A fun game to encourage comfort and activity around water
- A handout for parents and caregivers with additional water safety tips.
How to get started
The Y offers Safety Around Water periodically through elementary schools and community partner organizations. For more information, please call 828-251-5910.
Knowing how to swim builds confidence and helps keep your child safe. Let them learn from the best at the Y.
Experienced instructors are needed to keep kids safe in the water. Click here to volunteer.
Give to keep kids safe
The Y's Safety Around Water program is funded by donations. Give today to help prevent drowning.