Gain the skills to save a life! YMCA Lifeguard Certification is a comprehensive course for ages 16 and up. It focuses on water rescue and safety and prepares lifeguards to anticipate and prevent dangers.
Upon successful completion, participants are qualified to work at an aquatics facility as a certified lifeguard. Participants must attend all classes and successfully pass exams to receive certification.
YMCA Lifeguard Certification includes 27.5 hours of training in the pool or classroom, plus additional online learning. Courses include:
- Lifeguard Training
- CPR/AED Certification
- First Aid Certification
- Emergency Oxygen Administration Certification
- Tread water for two minutes.
- Able to swim 300 yards continuously.
- Able to surface dive to 8-10 feet depth of water and swim 15 feet underwater.
- Able to carry a significant amount of weight to the side of the pool.
- Able to exit pool and ascend lifeguard stand, both unassisted.
Sign up for a certification class today!
Already a certified lifeguard? The Y is the perfect place to put those skills into action! We're always looking for qualified lifeguards to join the Y family. Apply today.