Smarter = stronger with EGYM
EGYM smart strength machines conduct a strength assessment to find your optimal resistance setting, and will continuously do so throughout your training.
With the tap of an RFID-enabled wristband that you'll receive at your EGYM onboarding, each strength machine automatically sets the weight level and range of motion for you. A video game-like interface on every machine guides you to move at the right pace with the right form.
When in circuit mode, machines tell you when it's time to move to the next machine to ensure a full workout in 30 minutes.
EGYM Smart Strength Circuits are located at the Reuter Family YMCA and Woodfin YMCA. Free onboarding sessions begin Jan. 26.
To schedule your onboarding:
Schedule your EGYM onboarding
EGYM is available at the Reuter Family YMCA and Woodfin YMCA starting Jan. 26. All members must complete a 30-minute onboarding session before using EGYM equipment for the first time.
To schedule your onboarding:
EGYM is a system of equipment that guides you rep-by-rep through circuit workouts. During your onboarding, an EGYM coach will give you your free wristband and walk you through a strength assessment to find your optimal resistance settings. Your coach will also set the machines to your proper range of motion. After this initial time through with a coach, you’ll be good to go.
Next time you show up, tap your wristband on the marked area and the machines will automatically set the weight level and range of motion for you. The smart equipment will adapt and progress you through a workout with an interactive screen. All your workouts are logged in to an app without any memorizing or guesswork needed.
EGYM hits all the major muscle groups. A variety of equipment is included in the circuit:
- Chest press
- Seated row
- Ab crunch
- Back extension
- Leg curl
- Leg extension
- Lat pull
- Shoulder press
- Leg press
- Triceps press
- Bicep curl
Yes! The EGYM equipment is completely free for YMCA of Western North Carolina members to use once you've completed onboarding.
To schedule your onboarding:
- Onboarding is required before using the equipment.
- Begin the circuit at any machine. Swipe your wristband and follow the on-screen guidance.
- Move on to the next machine in the circuit. While you may start at any machine, you must move to the next machine in order.
- For a full-body workout, complete two rounds on all machines in the circuit.
- When you begin your second round, please give priority to other members entering the circuit.
- Wipe down machines after every use. We’ll clean the touchscreen for you.
- Members move machines every 110 seconds. All members change machines at the same time. Orange phase: Time to work. Blue phase: Time to move.
YMCA policies and guidelines can be found here.
- Wipe touch points with sanitizing wipe after each use and move to the next station.
- Start the circuit in any open machine and transit clockwise through the circuit. (You do not need to start at the beginning of the circuit.)
- Stay in order of exercises in the circuit and do not stay on a piece of equipment performing multiple sets.
- The equipment is arranged circuit style. Enter an empty machine to start the circuit. Everyone will be exercising at the same time with the orange timer. Everyone transitions at the same time with the blue timer. To maintain the flow of the traffic and keep the circuit seamless, stay in order of the circuit.
The interactive video screen on every machine guides you to move at the right pace with the right form. EGYM can help you get a complete workout every time, without worrying about counting reps or keeping a workout journal.
EGYM includes eight tailored programs specific to your goals. Tailored programs include:
- Weight Loss: Decrease body weight
- Muscle Building: Improve bone density and build muscle
- Athletic: Increase power and decrease risk of fall
- General Fitness: Enhance functional mobility
- Rehab Fit: Low-intensity program designed to assist with injury recovery
- Body Toning: Reduce body fat and increase muscle definition
- Metabolic Fit: Focus on muscle endurance
- Immunity Boost: Simple and progressive re-entry to exercise after time off
In addition to the eight tailored programs available, there are also four different training methods that may be found within your program. These training methods will alter the feel of the workout by changing the speed, weight load, and number of repetitions. This provides variation in your workout, all while maintaining the same overall focus.
Training methods include:
- Regular: One (1) weight. Classic controlled repetition tempo/speed.
- Negative: Two (2) weights. Easier on the first half of the rep, heavier on the second half (or return of rep).
- Adaptive: Decreases weight mid-set as it senses your muscles getting tired.
- Explonic: Meant for rapid, explosive movement.
EGYM was developed using state-of-the-art exercise science. Different fitness goals require different workouts. For instance, a weightlifter works out differently than someone who has never done strength training. EGYM adapts the equipment settings based on your goal, progress, and body type.
- Workout parameters such as training weight, number of repetitions, speed of movement, or length of sessions automatically adjust to individual users.
- Gamification elements, like scoring points on the training curve, also enhance motion control and motivate you to perform the exercises correctly.
- Regular maximum strength measurements automatically calculate the ideal training weight on each machine and continuously adapts the parameters in the line with your training achievements. This stimulates steady growth and prevents training plateaus.
You must be at least 13 years of age and 5'0" tall to use the EGYM equipment. The minimum weight requirement is 110 lbs., and the maximum weight requirement is 330 lbs.