Jan. News: Bring Fitness Home With Virtual Y
“Just wanted to say, the 8:15 virtual class this morning was great! Just what I needed! Thanks for getting creative.” –Y Member
Have you tried our new Virtual Y platform? We’re excited to offer livestreaming and on-demand workouts with your favorite Y instructors! Let us come to you with yoga, HIIT, Pilates, athletic conditioning, and more.
Check out this great exercise tip from Y instructor Eva Vega, then visit the new Virtual Y to watch live and on-demand classes!
Virtual Y access is available for active members only. Stay tuned for new virtual options as we move into the new year.
Share the news: Join the Y in January and save
Physical exercise improves mental health and boosts immunity. At the Y, you get the support you need to meet your fitness goals safely, with indoor, outdoor, and virtual workout options. January is the perfect time to reclaim your health and well-being in a clean, welcoming, inclusive environment.
Let your friends and neighbors know that when they join the Y between now and Jan. 10 they’ll save 50 percent off the month and pay no joining fee! They can use promo code HELLO2021 at checkout to join online or sign up at any of our eight locations.
Plus, if you refer a friend to the Y and they join, you both get $10 off your monthly membership for the next three months! Financial assistance is available.
Challenge yourself to get moving
There’s no time like a new year to shake off old habits and start fresh. Here are two ways you can jumpstart your health with the Y in 2021:
- Move 2,021 miles in 2021 – whether you walk, run, spin, swim, skip, or jump, keep going forward! Sync your wearable device or log the mileage from your workouts.
- Join the Jump into January Challenge and complete 10 workouts from Jan. 11-31 to build a healthy habit for the year.
Register in the Challenges tile on our mobile app. Make sure you’re signed up for push notifications in the mobile app to learn more about our challenges, association updates, and more.
Make an impact in 2021
“With all the things we don’t know going on in the world, it’s nice to continue to have food.” –Savannah, YMCA Mobile Food Market Participant
It’s an understatement to say that 2020 was a tough year. While hope is on the horizon with a vaccine, the Y knows that 2021 will continue to challenge our neighbors. Thousands are still struggling with food insecurity, childcare needs, and social isolation, and other issues.
Strong communities are built by people who care about one another. We’re asking for your help so we can continue to support our neighbors and strengthen our community. Click here to give or make a pledge.
Supporting you safely
It’s a new year, and the Y is dedicated to making it a healthy one. All locations are open with indoor and outdoor fitness amenities that meet and exceed public health guidelines to keep you safe:
- Masks are required indoors for everyone ages 5 and up, unless you’re in the pool or shower
- We’ve enhanced sanitization and increased cleaning
- Our air filtration systems are upgraded to new standards
- There are more hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes stations throughout
- Protective barriers are in place to reduce contact between staff and members
- Everyone entering our facilities gets a health screening with a temperature check
- Capacity is reduced to 30 percent and social distancing is required, so there’s plenty of room to spread out.
- Before your visit, go to our Locations page and click on your Y to see the real-time number of people in the building
Click here to see our complete member safety guide.
We’re also thrilled to announce expanded hours at two of our locations. Starting Jan. 4, the Ferguson Family Y and the Woodfin Y will be open all afternoon Monday-Thursday. Please see our website for details.
Keep kids active and safe at the Y
The pandemic has changed childhood in ways no one could have imagined. The Y is here for kids with programs to support their social, emotional, and physical health and well-being.
- We offer various childcare options in Buncombe, Henderson and McDowell counties, depending on the local school systems’ schedules. Click here to register your child for full-day virtual learning, afterschool care, or the Horizons program for middle schoolers.
- Swim lessons are a great way to help your child stay active during the winter months while learning safety and confidence. Sign up now for lessons in January and February.
- Overnight camp helps children build independence, make new friends, and forget about screen time. Registration is now open for YMCA Camp Watia for campers and counselors in training.
Financial assistance is available. Stay tuned for updates on youth sports programs and summer day camp later this year.
Take control of your health in the new year
“During these few months…I have lost around 30 pounds. A little milestone for where I need to be, but it’s a big milestone at the same time.” –Yessica, YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program Participant
The Y is dedicated to improving the overall health of the community. We take several approaches to improving health outcomes for people like Yessica.
If you have a chronic condition or disease, our Community Health lifestyle coaches and health navigators will work with you and your primary care provider to better manage your conditions and improve your health. We offer programs for diabetes prevention and management, falls prevention, and more. Learn more.
Grow your career with the Y
Whether you’re looking for your first job or considering a career change, the Y can offer you job growth in an inclusive, positive culture. We're now hiring for a variety of part-time and full-time positions. Hiring bonuses are available for childcare staff. Check out our job openings to find an opportunity that matches your career goals, interests, skills, and experience.
Help slow the spread of COVID-19
Protect yourself, your loved ones, and your community simply by using your phone. It’s easy. All you have to do is download the SlowCOVIDNC mobile app and you can help slow the spread of COVID-19.
Search for and download the app in the Google Play or Apple App store, enable your Bluetooth and Exposure Notification settings, and be notified if you have been in close contact with someone who has shared a positive COVID-19 test result in the app.