The health and safety of our team, our members, and the community is important to us. All locations offer indoor and outdoor fitness amenities that meet and exceed public health guidelines to keep you safe.
To learn more about what to expect at the Y, please see the sections below. Please see our schedules page for updates and reservations, and check out our virtual options if you're unable to join us in person.
Our locations are open to current YMCA of WNC members and guests, members of other North Carolina YMCAs, day pass holders, and members from Ys that participate in the Nationwide Membership program.
Please follow us on Facebook and check this page for updates.
Keeping You Safe
We are prioritizing your safety with these precautions:
- Enhanced sanitization of equipment, surfaces and areas combined with an increased frequency of cleaning
- Upgraded air filtration systems
- Additional stations for hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes
- Mandatory COVID-19 education, safety training, and protocols for our entire staff team
- Reservation systems for group exercise classes and racquetball
- Capacity dashboards to show the number of people checked in -- go to the locations page and choose your center for real-time data
Masks are optional for members, program participants, and guests in our facilities.
Facility Air Quality Standards
Depending on the specific systems at our centers, we have worked to improve building ventilation using engineering controls as well as regular preventive maintenance of existing systems. For example, we:
- Ensure (HVAC) ventilation systems are operating properly
- Swiftly fix mechanical issues
- Increased ventilation rates within existing systems when possible
- Disabled demand-controlled ventilation where possible
- Have adjusted air dampers when possible to reduce recirculation and improved central air filtration to the highest level compatible within each system, without reducing adequate air flow
- Constantly run our HVAC systems during operating hours to enhance air exchanges in the building space
- Ensure exhaust fans in restroom facilities are functional and operating at full capacity when the building is occupied
- Have installed portable HEPA systems on wellness floors
Plan Ahead: What You Need to Know and Bring
- Reservations are required for all classes and racquetball. Services vary by location. Access reservations through our schedules page or mobile app.
- Please bring the personal items you need (a mat, towel, water bottle, etc.)
- For outdoor group exercise, wipe down equipment, weights, mats, etc., before and after use with the cleaning materials provided.
- Our Youth Development Centers are now open at all locations. Please click here for more information.
- Youth members ages 13 and up are welcome without a parent or guardian as part of a household membership.
- Please stay home if you’re sick or don’t feel well.
How to Make Reservations
To help keep the community safe, we're using a reservations system to cap the number of group exercise class participants. You can reserve your spot through our website, but the fastest, easiest way to do it is through our mobile app. Here are step-by-step instructions for your convenience.
As a courtesy to others, please do not book back-to-back time slots.
Outdoor Group Exercise
All YMCA of Western North Carolina centers will continue offering outdoor group exercise classes while weather allows.
Classes include athletic conditioning, yoga, strength and conditioning, cardio, Zumba, and more. Centers with indoor pools are offering aquatic group exercise classes.
What to Expect
- All classes are on a reservation system, and reservations open 36 hours before class.
- Please bring your own water.
- Childcare is available for those with a Household Membership at all locations, please check hours in advance.
- If a class is canceled due to weather, we will post the news on social media and our mobile app approximately one hour before class time. Some classes may move indoors or to our virtual platform during inclement weather.
Pools and Swim Programs
Indoor pools are open at:
- Asheville YMCA
- Black Mountain YMCA
- Corpening Memorial YMCA
- Hendersonville Family YMCA
- Reuter Family YMCA
Pool Usage Guidelines
- Showers are available for rinsing off before and after entering the water.
- Locker rooms are open for use.
- Only Coast Guard approved flotation devices are allowed, limited numbers of lifejackets may be available for use.
- We do not allow the use of mermaid fins in our pools.
- We do not allow cellphones in the pool or hot tub.
- No prolonged breath holding allowed due to the risk of Shallow Water Blackout (SBD).
Frequently Asked Questions About Pools
- Will swim tests happen during this time? Yes, we will continue to give swim tests for anyone who needs one and anyone under the age of 13.
- Can non-swimmers be in deep end? No, they cannot. Non-swimmers are not allowed to swim in the deep end, even with flotation devices.
- What about weather closures? Pools will continue to follow our existing weather policies.
Registration is open for private, semi-private and group swim lessons.
Patton Pool in Hendersonville is open from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
We want to help you prioritize your health and wellness. Regular exercise is one component of a healthy lifestyle that can help reduce stress and prevent illness. YMCA members can log in to access live and on-demand classes taught by the professional local instructors.
Members, download our mobile app to access workouts, do fitness challenges, set goals, track progress, and more!