If cancer changed your life, find a community that truly understands at the Y.
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a community that supports cancer survivors as they pursue holistic health and wellness.
The program equips survivors with the tools they need to recover mentally, emotionally, socially, and physically. A Y membership is included to help with the transition to better health.
Goals and health benefits
- Improve energy levels and self-esteem
- Build muscle mass and strength
- Increase flexibility and endurance
- Improve ability to perform everyday tasks
- Develop a fitness plan to continue practicing a healthy lifestyle
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA FAQ
In addition to the physical benefits, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA focuses on the emotional well-being of survivors and their families by providing a supportive community where people affected by cancer can connect during treatment and beyond.
The 12-week program includes two 90-minute classes per week in a small group setting, which includes a wellness program suited to your individual ability level. Funded locally by the YMCA of WNC and community partners, the program is offered at no cost to participants and also includes a household membership to the Y for the session’s duration.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is recommended for those recently finished with cancer treatment. Enrollment is handled on a case-by-case basis. Potential participants must:
- Be a cancer survivor (as defined by point of diagnosis onward)
- Be age 18 or older
- Consult their oncologist or a hospital oncology representative for medical clearance before joining the program (see medical clearance form below)
- Obtain medical clearance if currently undergoing treatment
- Have a strong personal desire and commitment to participate in the program (it is highly recommended to attend a minimum of 80% of classes)
- Give permission for a LIVESTRONG at the YMCA representative to contact their physician or healthcare provider if necessary
"Cancer sapped me of my strength, energy, and self-confidence. LIVESTRONG at the YMCA and its instructors helped me challenge myself, working through the diversity of the Y’s programs. I may not be 100% yet but I’m getting there! Thank you for prodding me to do more, and making it a lot of fun too!"