Military Memberships

The YMCA of Western North Carolina now provides two special military membership offerings.

Military Appreciation Program 

Military veterans, active duty military, and their families are eligible for the YMCA of Western North Carolina's new Military Appreciation Program, as of May 25, 2018.

The Y's Military Appreciation Program covers several types of membership with corresponding rates, which apply as long as the veteran or active military individual is a Y member. There are no joining fees for veterans, active military, and their families to join the Y.

Applications are available at any YMCA location to get the special rate. Requirements include a valid military or veteran ID card, a DD214 form showing release from active duty, or a driver's license indicating a veteran designation. 

Click here for more information on the Military Appreciation Program. 

YMCA Military Outreach Initiative

We understand that military families are under enormous strain so we are honored to participate in the YMCA Military Outreach Initiative, which provides free Y memberships to military families through the Department of Defense.

As a member of the Y, you and your family can spend quality time together and enjoy fun activities in a warm, supportive environment. It’s also a place to meet other military families who can relate to your unique situation.

Membership Eligibility

Title 10 personnel are eligible for a Y membership, including:

  • Family members of deployed National Guard and reservists
  • Active Duty personnel at Independent Duty Stations and their families
  • Relocated spouse/dependent children of deployed Active Duty personnel

Note: The Relocated Spouse category supports families/spouse who relocate away from an installation/duty station while the active duty service member is deployed. All of the following criteria must be met:

  • The service member is on active duty.
  • The service member is deployed for a minimum of six months (on deployment orders -- NOT unaccompanied orders, NOT geographic bachelors).
  • The spouse has relocated away from the military installation where the service member is assigned (most often, back home near family).
  • Wounded service members assigned to a Community Based Warrior in Transition Unit (CBWTU)

How to apply

Go to the Military OneSource website or call 800 342 9647 to confirm your eligibility and request an eligibility form.

After you complete your eligibility form, email us to set up a verification appointment. You'll need to bring your eligibility form, military ID, and any other required documentation (usually, your deployment orders or Military Service Headquarters approval letter). Please do not leave copies of these documents at the Y.