In 2008, Y-USA and The LIVESTRONG Foundation® created LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a free physical activity and well-being program designed to help adult cancer survivors achieve their holistic health goals. The research-based program offers people affected by cancer a safe, supportive environment to participate in physical and social activities focused on strengthening the whole person.
How It Works
In addition to the physical benefits, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA focuses on the emotional well-being of survivors and their families by providing a supportive community where people affected by cancer can connect during treatment and beyond.
The 12-week program includes two 90-minute classes per week in a small group setting, which includes a wellness program suited to your individual ability level. Funded locally by the YMCA of WNC and community partners, the program is offered at no cost to participants and also includes a household membership to the Y for the session’s duration.
Program Goals and Health Benefits
• Improve energy levels and self esteem
• Build muscle mass and strength
• Increase flexibility and endurance
• Improve ability to perform everyday tasks
• Develop a fitness plan to continue practicing a healthy lifestyle
Criteria for Participation
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is recommended for those recently finished with cancer treatment, but enrollment is handled on case-by-case basis. Potential participants must:
- Be a cancer survivor. (Survivor meaning point of diagnosis onward.)
- Be age 18 or older.
- Consult their oncologist or a hospital oncology representative for medical clearance before joining the program. (See medical clearance form below.)
- Obtain medical clearance if currently undergoing treatment.
- Have a strong personal desire and commitment to participate in the program. (It is highly recommended to attend a minimum of 80% of classes.)
- Give permission for a LIVESTRONG at the YMCA representative to contact their physician or healthcare provider if necessary.
Making an Impact
"Cancer sapped me of my strength, energy, and self-confidence. LIVESTRONG at the YMCA and its instructors helped me challenge myself, working through the diversity of the Y’s programs. I may not be 100% yet but I’m getting there! Thank you for prodding me to do more, and making it a lot of fun too!"
For more information, please email the Population Health team, call 828 251 5910, or complete the waiver below.