The Y is dedicated to improving the overall health of the community. Our Population Health team takes several approaches to improving health outcomes for people with chronic conditions or diseases. Our team of lifestyle coaches and health navigators will work with you and your primary care provider to better manage your conditions and improve your health.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is a physical activity and well-being program that helps adult cancer survivors achieve their holistic health goals. The research-based program offers people affected by cancer a supportive environment to participate in physical and social activities focused on strengthening the whole person.
Diabetes Prevention and Management
Virtual Diabetes Prevention
The Diabetes Prevention Program encourages participants at risk of Diabetes Type II to eat healthier, increase physical activity, and lose a modest amount of weight in a supportive, small group virtual environment. This virtual program is free. Spots are limited so sign up below!
Diabetes is the seventh leading cause of death in the United States, and medical expenses for people with diabetes are 2.3 times greater than those without. While there is no cure for diabetes, it is preventable and manageable. The YMCA of WNC offers three evidence-based programs to help people prevent and manage type 2 diabetes:
- The Diabetes Prevention Program helps those at risk of developing type 2 diabetes adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles by encouraging participants to eat healthier, increase physical activity and lose a modest amount of weight in a small-group environment.
- Taking Control of Type 2 empowers participants to take a balanced approach to type 2 diabetes self-care. The supportive curriculum covers motivation, goal setting, balanced eating, and achieving a healthy weight.
- The Minority Diabetes Prevention Program (MDPP) is a year-long, group-based program that helps people make realistic and achievable lifestyle changes. The program is available to qualifying participants and includes a YMCA household membership. The Y and ABIPA will offer the program at multiple locations and times in Buncombe, Henderson, and McDowell counties.
Falls are the leading cause of both fatal and nonfatal injury in people over age 60. Two evidence-based balance programs for older adults are offered at the YMCA of WNC:
- Moving for Better Balance uses the principles and movements of Tai Chi to help older adults increase their strength, improve their balance, and increase their confidence in doing everyday activities.
- A Matter of Balance uses simple, easy-to-learn movements that motivate individuals (particularly those with arthritis) to stay active throughout their life.
Reaching and maintaining a healthier weight is important for everyone's overall health and well-being. People who are significantly overweight have a greater risk of developing many diseases, including high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, stroke, and some forms of cancer. For obese adults, even losing a few pounds or preventing further weight gain has health benefits. At the Y, we’re here to support your wellness journey so you can get to a healthier weight.
The YMCA of WNC also brings free, healthy, and nutritious meals to children and families year-round with mobile food distributions and cooking demonstrations. Learn more about our nutrition outreach.
Senior Fitness and Arthritis Management
Enhance®Fitness is a proven community-based senior fitness and arthritis management program geared toward older adults, and those with chronic conditions such as arthritis. It helps older adults become more active, energized, and empowered for independent living. Regular participation reduces age-related functional decline and has been shown to reduce the incidence of disability in older adults who suffer from arthritis.