Reopening With Care on June 1
Dear Y Community,
In accordance with state and local guidance, we’re excited to begin our first phase of reopening on Monday, June 1 with outdoor group exercise classes and fitness offerings, indoor pools and aquatic group exercise, and summer day camp.
As we reopen in phases, your health and safety is our highest priority. We are fully complying with all guidelines from the CDC, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, and local health departments. Thank you for your patience as we work together to support community health and well-being.
At this time, the indoor pools and outdoor amenities opening on June 1 are for current local members. We are unable to include guests or YMCA members from outside our association.
Please learn more about our reopening plans below, and check our reopening guide for details.
Phase 1: What to Expect
Our staff has been working tirelessly to prepare for your safe return. Here’s a look at what to expect when we welcome you back:
Here are some of the specific measures we’re taking to keep you healthy:
- All staff have been trained on new health and safety procedures.
- We’ve deep cleaned our pools, locker rooms, and exercise equipment
All facilities, equipment, and surfaces will be cleaned and disinfected with increased effort and frequency.
- Staff and members will receive health screenings, including temperature checks, before entering our pool facilities or participating in outdoor exercise classes. Please plan extra time for this.
- We will follow local guidelines on the use of face coverings. They are required for staff.
- We’ve modified our operating hours and class schedules.
- Social distancing protocols will be in place, and class sizes will be limited.
- Reservations are required for outdoor exercise classes, lap swim, family swim, and aquatic exercise. Spaces will be released 24 hours in advance, and will close 15 minutes before the activity begins. Reserve on our website or mobile app.
- Indoor center amenities such as the wellness center, childcare, saunas, steam rooms, hot tubs, gymnasiums, water fountains, and coffee service will not be available during Phase 1.
We encourage you to plan ahead before coming to the Y. See the complete list of tips to prepare for your visit.
Meeting Community Need
Our mission to serve all has been very alive in the community during the pandemic. We have had more opportunities than ever to bring the Y to people where they are, not just inside our walls. As a Y member, you should be proud of the ways we are showing up:
- We’ve served 138,322 pounds of fresh, healthy produce and 37,309 nutritious meals to more than 9,385 people at no charge.
- Hundreds of essential workers have had one less thing to worry about each week, knowing their children were safe and nurtured in YMCA emergency childcare.
- While schools were closed, we provided free homeschool resources to help parents educate and entertain their children.
- We provided access to hundreds of free virtual workouts and group exercise classes, a service that will continue as we gradually reopen our facilities.
- Seniors and people with chronic conditions have not been left behind. We have made thousands of wellness calls and have moved our supportive classes online to help participants maintain healthy habits.
About Membership Drafts
Thank you for staying with us during our temporary closure. Your support has made it possible for us to reopen, but we remain sensitive to your needs. Please let us know if you need to adjust your account. And as always, financial assistance is available if needed.
As we open indoor pools and start outdoor group exercise on Monday, it’s just the beginning. Our staff will continue to prepare our centers and programs for your safe return. Please follow us on Facebook and Instagram to see our progress, and be sure to download our mobile app to get updates and make class reservations. You can also check our Reopening Guide for answers to frequently asked questions.
We appreciate you, we are here for you, and we look forward to seeing you soon!
President and CEO