Updated Buncombe County Mask Policy
Buncombe County has mandated that masks are required inside all facilities that are open to the public. We have revised our mask policy to comply with this mandate at our Buncombe County facilities.
- Masks are required indoors for people ages 5 and up, regardless of vaccination status, unless someone has a medical or behavioral issue that prohibits mask use. If someone is exercising strenuously and experiences trouble breathing, gets dizzy, or is lightheaded, they may remove their mask.
- Masks are not required in wet areas (pool, showers, steam/sauna, hot tubs).
In addition to requiring masks and strongly encouraging everyone to get vaccinated, the Y is continuing to take many other safety precautions:
- Enhanced sanitization of equipment, surfaces and areas combined with an increased frequency of cleaning
- Adjusted hours to facilitate enhanced deep cleaning
- Upgraded air filtration systems and portable purification units
- Additional stations for hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes
- Focus on “no touch” or “low touch” interactions
- Protective barriers in place to reduce contact between staff and members
- Health screenings and temperature checks (childcare only)
- Mandatory COVID-19 education, safety training, and protocols for our entire staff team
- Reservation systems for group exercise classes, racquetball, and pickleball
- Online capacity dashboards to show the number of people checked in (go to Locations and click your center to see real-time data)
- Expanded outdoor and virtual classes.
Buncombe County’s mandate is scheduled to end Sept. 30, depending on local conditions. We will continue to follow the recommendations of public health officials and any local or state mandates. In addition, we will continue to monitor the COVID data for the counties we serve before making any other changes.